Didactic/Experiential Courses (DEC)*
New This Year
• A Primer in Clinical Trials Design
• Fundamental Use of Surgical Energy (FUSE)
• Practical Communication Skills for Difficult
Back by Popular Demand
• 2015 Introduction to CPT, ICD-10-CM, and
Evaluation and Management Coding (Basic
• Annual Update in Surgical Critical Care
• Emergency General Surgery Update
• General Surgery Review Course
• Managing Common Anorectal Complaints
• Mastering General Surgery Coding (Advanced
• Measure Twice, Cut Once! Optimizing Surgical
Systems of Care
• MOC Review: Essentials for Surgical Specialties
• Improving Patient Safety and Team
Performance in Your OR: The Non-Technical
Skills for Surgeons (NOTSS) System
• Surgical Education: Principles and Practice
• Trauma Update
• Vascular Surgery for General Surgeons
Surgical Skills Courses (SSC)*
New This Year
• Bariatric Surgery: Managing Complications
Skills and Strategies
• Oncoplastic Breast Reconstructive Surgery
• Rib Plating
• Endovascular Skills for Hemorrhage Control
• Performing Total Mesorectal Excision (TME)
• Palliative Surgical Care
Back by Popular Demand
• Advanced Skills Training for Rural Surgeons:
Laparoscopic Bile Duct Exploration and
• Advanced Colonoscopy Skills Course:
New Interventions and Frontiers
• Laparoscopic Inguinal and Ventral
• Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic
• Surgical Endoscopy: Advancing Minimally
Invasive Surgery and Retooling Our Workforce
*See later page for DEC/SSC fees and information.
Video-Based Education Offerings
• Robotic Surgery
• Icons in Surgery
• Revisional Foregut: Which Is Best?
• ACS Video Atlas Showcase (Liver Volume)
Specialty-Specific Panel Sessions
• 10 Hot Topics in Critical Care
• Thoracic Aortic Disease Management:
From the Aortic Valve to the Bifurcation
• Pelvic Organ Prolapse: Multidisciplinary
Strategies for Care
• Managing the Unexpected Adnexal Mass
• Modern Management of the
• Challenging Trauma Cases: Lessons from
• New Horizons in Skull-Based Surgery
• Changing Paradigms in the Management of
Breast Cancer: Is Less Surgery Really Better?
• Enhanced Recovery Protocols for GI Surgery:
The SMART Approach
• Women’s Health Day Offerings:
– Cardiovascular Disease: It’s Not
Just about Men
– Gynecology for the Nongynecologic Surgeon
– Managing Pelvic Floor Disorders
– The Surgeon’s Role in Treating Endocrine
and Metabolic Disorders
– What’s New in Body Contouring and
Nonclinical Panel Sessions Offer
Learning and Insights into Other
Aspects of Surgical Life
• The College’s Clinical Scholars 2015
• The Surgeon and Emotional Intelligence:
It’s Real and Relevant
• Do I Need to Operate on That in the Middle
of the Night?
• Managing Stress and Preventing Burnout:
Strategies and Wellness Habits for Surgeons
• Tissue Engineering: What’s New?
• The College’s International Scholars and
• How to Assess Outcomes/Quality Improvement
• Personal Challenges in a Professional Career
• 10 Hot Topics in Ensuring Surgical Safety
• Fatigue and the Surgeon: Monitoring,
Regulation, and Professionalism
• Educational Impact of the Electronic
• Genetic Testing for Cancer: What You Need
to Know for Your Practice
• Functional Ergonomics for Surgeons: Protect
Your Neck and Your Career
• Avoiding Reimbursement Pitfalls: ICD- 10
• Captain to Team Player: How Do We Train
Residents to Play in the Modern Sandbox?
• Should That Surgeon Be Operating?
• Where Does Marketing End and COI Begin?
• The Precarious State of GME Funding:
What Is the Future?
• Quality Assessment in Surgery
• Disclosure and the Ethical Surgeon
• Striving for Patient Satisfaction in the
Era of the Affordable Care Act
• Top Gear: Innovations for Daily Use in the Life
of a Surgeon
• The Role/Impact of Telemedicine on Surgical
• You’re Not Alone: The Emotional Impact of
• Challenging Emergency Surgery Cases:
Lessons from the Experts
• Research Training during Residency:
Time for a Reality Check?
• Surgical Team Building: The Role of
Interprofessional Education in Developing
a Highly Functioning Care Team
Town Hall Meetings
• How Do We Credential Surgeons in the Use
of New Technology?
• Finding Awe in Your Work
• Development of a Rural Track in Residency
• Enhanced Reimbursement for
Cancellation of Sessions
The American College of Surgeons reserves
the right to cancel any of the scientific sessions
listed in this Program Planner. The information
in this Program Planner is preliminary. Check the
College’s website for updates.
What’s New in 2015?
Meeting Overview CLINICAL CONGRESS 2015
• Clinical Congress 2015 will be held at McCormick
Place in Chicago, IL.
• The Hilton Chicago will be the headquarters hotel.
• An improved mobile app will be available for planning
and scheduling your Clinical Congress itinerary.
• The Scientific Forum abstract program is the “umbrella
program” that now encompasses the programs
formerly known as the Paper Sessions and Surgical
Forum, as well as the Scientific Posters. All accepted
abstracts submitted for an oral presentation will
be featured in the Scientific Forum sessions.
• Self-Assessment Credit will be offered for
most Courses, Panel Sessions, and Video-Based
• The ACS Theatre will showcase select ACS programs
from the Quality, Advocacy, Education, and Member
Services areas midday Monday, Tuesday, and
Wednesday in the exhibit hall. Presentations
will be up to 30 minutes in length.