12. The Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality
Improvement Program, 2016. Available at: facs.org/quality-programs/mbsaqip. Accessed February 12, 2019.
13. Birkmeyer JD, Finks JF, O’Reilly A, et al. Surgical skill
and complication rates after bariatric surgery. N Engl J
Med. 2013;369( 15):1434-1442.
14. Livingston EH. Relationship between surgeon volume
and adverse outcomes after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in
Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS)
study. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2010; 6( 2):587-588.
15. Birkmeyer JD, Stukel TA, Siewers AE, et al. Surgeon volume
and operative mortality in the United States. N Engl J
Med. 2003;349( 22):2117-2127.
16. The Physicians Foundation. Health reform and the decline
of physician private practice: Nation’s frontline physicians
unhappy with healthcare reform measures. Available at: https://
February 12, 2019.
17. Kessler S. Average medical school debt in 2017. Student debt
relief. June 2018. Available at: www.studentdebtrelief.us/news/
average-medical-school-debt/. Accessed February 12, 2019.
18. American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons. ASMBS
compensation and practice style survey. April 2013. Available at:
https://asmbs.org/resources/asmbs-compensation-and-practice-style-survey. Accessed February 8, 2019.
actively foster this practice category and its
contribution to high-quality patient care. If
the private practice model is to survive in the
future health care arena, the challenges outlined herein must be addressed. ♦
This work was supported by the ACS. The authors
declare that they have no relevant conflict of interest.
We are grateful to the ACS for their generous
sponsorship of the Metabolic Surgery Symposium
and associated journal publication development. We
thank Jane N. Buchwald, chief scientific research
writer, Medwrite Medical Communications, Maiden
Rock, WI, for manuscript editing and publication
coordination. And we thank Patrick Beebe and
Donna Coulombe, ACS Executive Services, for
their expert organization of the Metabolic Surgery
APR 2019 BULLETIN American College of Surgeons